Visa resources for digital nomads

Wherever your whims take you next, we have some advice on applying for visas and work permits

Editorial Team

By Editorial Team

applying for a visa

Have you been dreaming about somewhere far away? Maybe you want to relocate for work, or adopt a digital nomad style where you travel around and freelance to make ends meet. Getting a work visa can be a complicated process, so we’ve put together this guide to how to find the information you need to expedite the process — wherever you wind up moving.

Applying for a visa can be a hassle, and so can finding a new place to live in your chosen city. Blueground’s turnkey furnished apartments in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and North America take the pain out of your housing search. Our homes are individually designed to reflect the character of their neighborhood, and our lease terms are completely flexible.

Are you constantly on the move? Blueground offers fully-furnished, equipped and serviced apartments in some of the world’s most sought after cities.

a us passport with stamps

Of course, the Covid-19 pandemic has thrown a wrench into international migration. Be sure to check the official website of the country where you’d like to live and work to see if you’re currently eligible to travel there, as well as whether or not visa applications are being processed as usual.

Here’s how you can get started moving to each of the countries where Blueground has a presence.

All about visas in Austria

If you want to reside in Austria for more than six months, you must apply for a residence visa. (This applies even to those who are not planning to work during their time in Austria.) If you want to earn some money with an Austrian company, things get a little more complicated.

EU residents are eligible to live and work in Austria, but digital nomads from non-EU countries will need to be prepared for some red tape. Most likely, you will need an Austrian employer to sponsor your work visa.

Third-country nationals planning to work in Austria can apply for a Red-White-Red Card (Rot-Weiß-Rot Karte), which allows them to work for a single sponsoring employer for up to 24 months. If you’re running a startup or small business, you will be able to qualify for a visa if you have a certain amount of capital to invest.

Work and travel visas in France

If you’re planning to live in France for three months or less, you won’t need a visa. However, if you’re relocating for work or a short-term gig, your employer will need to secure a temporary work permit on your behalf. (This rule doesn’t apply to EU passport holders or Swiss nationals.)

Anyone who would like to stay longer and be eligible to work will need to go through the process of obtaining a work permit.

If you don’t have a job lined up with a specific employer you can still get a work visa by applying through France’s Talent Passport program. This initiative, which began in 2016, is open to certain types of workers and recent graduates. There are also other visa categories that are worth exploring.

Getting a visa in Greece

If you have an EU passport, moving to Greece to work is a cinch, even if you’re planning to work during your stay. For other digital nomads, the process may be a bit more involved.

Most non-EU residents will need a type D visa to legally work in Greece. Any foreign national who wishes to obtain a work visa in Greece will need to be sponsored by a specific company.

However, this rule is about to change!

Obtaining a visa in Istanbul

EU residents can live and work in Turkey without a visa, but many other passport holders will have to jump through a few hoops. Anyone with a valid visa can stay in Turkey for up to 90 days without applying for a residence permit.

If you want to stay in Turkey for longer than 90 days, or you want to work while you’re in the country, there are a few extra steps to take. First, register yourself at the nearest local police station to your hotel or residence when you arrive.

In order to work in Turkey, you must apply for a work permit and then a visa that’s sponsored by a company that does business in Turkey. There are also some professions where you can get a working visa based on a short-term assignment.

Getting a visa in the UAE

Most visitors don’t have to apply for a visa to visit the United Arab Emirates. Passport holders from a vast majority of countries are eligible for a visa on arrival at no cost.

If you want to work while you’re living in the country, you will need a work visa rather than the standard traveler visa. If you have a job lined up with a UAE-based employer, they will likely handle the process on your behalf.

If you’re not looking to work for a company based in the UAE, you still have options! Anyone who makes $60,000 US or more each year is eligible for a one-year virtual working programme visa.

a woman packing a carry-on for a business trip

If you’re an innovator or run a startup you’re eligible for an even longer visa through the UAE’s investors and entrepreneurs visa program. (Are you intrigued? Check out our ultimate guide for moving to Dubai to learn more about easing your transition to this dynamic city.)

How to get a visa in the UK

There’s no way around it: Brexit has made the process of getting a work visa in the UK a lot more complicated than it used to be. In the wake of its departure from the European Union, the country has introduced a points-based system for immigration.

There are several types of work visas for anyone looking to relocate to the UK. The global talent scheme program might help you get a fast-tracked permit, or you could run your own business with a start-up visa or an innovator visa.

Getting a work visa in the US

If you’re visiting the United States as a tourist or to live — but not work — you may not need a visa. However, anyone who would like to stay a while or earn money in the country will need to apply for a work visa. There are two types of visas that a foreigner can get to start their employment in the United States: a temporary and permanent.

There are many types of temporary and permanent US work visas, so check out our guide on how to get your visa for even more details on the application process. If you’re looking to permanently relocate to the US, you’re probably familiar with a Green Card. This is the most common way that recent arrivals in the US can stay for a long time and even become citizens.

Are you ready to live your most flexible life ever? Blueground has individually styled furnished apartments in all of the countries above. Find out more about what sets Blueground apart from renting the old-fashioned way.

Editorial Team

Editorial Team

The Blueground editorial team covers the best things to see, do, and experience in our cities around the world.