There are a couple of three-word phrases every worker needs to take advantage of: “out of office” and “do not disturb.” Because hitting the pause button is essential every now and then. Otherwise, the stress of a day can begin to build.
Every Blueground apartment features a dedicated workspace and fast Wi-Fi — perfect for digital nomads or work-from-homers. But sometimes you just need to take a timeout. Whether there’s a natural gap in your schedule or you have to create some time, be sure to take care of yourself mentally during the workday.
So what should you do during those five-minute breaks while working or half-hour pauses? Here are eight ideas that you can do in your apartment or building and three more your neighborhood may offer.
1. Go for a swim. Many of our turnkey apartments are in buildings with pools. Whether you need a short break to exercise, relax, or cool down from warm summer temps, you can take a dip in the pool.
2. Read al fresco. Lots of Blueground homes feature balconies or outdoor spaces with a table and chairs. It’s the perfect spot to crack open the latest bestselling book while sipping a cup of tea or one of these eight city-inspired drinks.
3. Break a sweat. Thanks to spacious living areas, you can get a quick workout in. Because sometimes you need to get your blood pumping to kickstart a productive afternoon.
4. Refocus with yoga. Weights and cardio not your thing? Take a few minutes to practice a new yoga pose or simply stretch out your muscles. It’ll help relieve tension and stress.
5. Walk your dog. Since a lot of our apartments are pet-friendly (some even have dedicated pet areas), you can bring your four-legged friend along. Bonus: strolling around your neighborhood will give you a better feel for your new home.
6. Cook a meal or snack. We partner with top brands to give our guests exclusive perks and savings. With our fully equipped kitchens and healthy meal kits from a partner like HelloFresh, you can refuel at any time. Trust us, we know how hunger can affect your work.
7. Take a power nap. Feeling tired or overwhelmed? Catch some Zs to recharge. Our comfortable furniture, plush beds, and premium linens combine to create dreamy nap spaces. Just remember to set an alarm so you don’t snooze all afternoon long.
8. Jam out. Each Blueground apartment comes with a portable Bluetooth speaker, so you can listen to music at a moment’s notice. Or have it on all day. Your favorite tunes will help you relax but also boost your mood. Feel the need to get up and dance, too? We won’t judge.
9. Go for a hike. If the weather is nice, check out a nearby park, garden, or green space. Nature and sunshine can instantly improve your concentration.
10. Check out a new coffee shop. Java junkies may have a favorite spot, but why not go somewhere different in your neighborhood? You can even bring your laptop and work from there.
11. Visit a museum or art gallery. Live close to a spot that’s full of culture? No matter if you have a membership or only drop in for an hour in the afternoon, this is a great way to clear your head. Plus, you’ll learn something new!
Work hard, stay comfortable
Our flexible, fully furnished corporate apartments are ideal for business travelers staying for 30 days, a year, or longer. Have a long-term project coming up? Relocating for a job? Let your company know about Blueground for Business!
Kevin Crain is a writer from Dallas, Texas. He’s dedicated to helping every Blueground guest live like a local and make their apartment feel like home. His favorite topics include active experiences, bucket list essentials, and hidden gems in cities around the world.
How employee perks changed & why you should care
Top 8 leadership skills for the hybrid workplace
How to break the cycle of toxic management at work
A few ways an organization can evolve its flexible work culture
What business travelers (probably) don’t know when traveling to the USA
A 5-step plan for better work-life balance
The 3 qualities that make someone management material
Learn how this gender myth is fueling workplace inequality
Stay up to date
Subscribe to get travel inspiration and tips on living well while you explore the world!